6 servings; 10 mins
Nourishing and delicious, this Food of the Gods, aka kicharee, recipe is fantastic with a teaspoon of organic ghee.
- 1/3 cup split mung dhal
- 2/3 cup basmati rice
- 3-4 cups water (a ratio of 1:3 or 1:4)
- 1 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 inch fresh ginger, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 3 teaspoons organic ghee
- Seasonal vegetables such as spinach, peas, carrots and/or seaweeds mushrooms for an all-round healing, health and digestion-enkindling meal
Simmer the mung dal and rice in the water. Add in all of the herbs and spices, and then the vegetables.
The best practice is to cook the kicharee on a very low heat in a covered saucepan. Do not stir the mixture after all of the ingredients are added, or it will turn mushy.
Then add a couple of teaspoons of ghee to a pan and fry the cumin and mustard seeds. They will pop when ready. Add the fresh ginger, and then add to the finished kicharee.
Stir once and serve.
At the end, add a teaspoon of ghee to your dish.
To discover Pukka's organic teas and Ayurvedic Supplements Visit the Website - https://www.pukkaherbs.com/uk/en